Enterprise Linux Conference

I was referring to the big machines like the Superdome or Alpha GS series
with 32 and up to 128 processors and NUMA memory. 8 to 12 processors is
still relatively small.

One of the biggest issues with Linux in the enterprise today is the
attitude that "any work we do on Linux can be used by our competitors".
This is an important issue. IBM feels that they can recover the development
cost by selling the iron. HP is also very strong in the Linux area, but did
not make the committment to the kernel development that IBM did although
HP/Compaq/Digital was essentially the first Unix vendor to embrace Linux
back in 1994 (or earlier). Some of us can remember Jim Paradis demoing
Linux on the Alpha back when we were part of the BCS.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group