ssh (open)

Back to square one.

As you can see in my original post I'm being asked for my user password,
not the passphrase I used to setup the keys. I checked my .ssh directory
on the remote Linuxbox which is 0700 and found that the keys were not
0600 but the default umask. I changed them to 0600 and then again tried
to login from my cygwin machine, and was still asked for my password.
Maybe I am missing the basic setup concept.
Here is my basic setup:
On my cygwin box my HOME  is set in the NT environment via the value of
%HOME% which is not my username on that machine.
On the Linux box my home is in the traditional location and contains the
.ssh directory as described above.
Before I even worry about setting up ssh-agent I would like to get to
the point of being asked for my pass-phrase when logging in to the
Linuxbox from the NTcygwinbox.

As can be seen in my original post ssh complains that it cannot creat
the /home/Johndoe/.ssh directory. Where does it want to creat it as it
does not exist?

Well I will reread the documentation and see if the problem becomes
appearant.

Jim Kelly-Rand