further random questions from the newly-unemployed

I've seen some strange stuff. Today, I think that most HR people should be
competent enough to bring up MS Word from their email client. However, I've
seen good competent people in an engineering environment with email
programs that could not convert Base64 attachments. I always had to send
uuencoded documents to that person.

Since RTF is text, if sent incorrectly it can suffer the same type of
mangling that occurs in the body of email, which is one reason when I want
to send something of any format, I force it to be an attachment and
sometimes force Base64 (or uuencode if it is appropriate).

Also, email servers at some companies might be an IBM mainframe using EBDIC and not ASCII, so things can get mutilated.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director