ATTBI just changed DNS servers, but did they break prorocol to be friendly?

I also run an appliance.  Just browse to it and renew your external lease to
see the new servers and you are set.  My question is: how many of you got the
AT&T splash page saying you got there (the splash page) because you are doing
a static resolver thing and need to change your DNS settings?  How does that
work?

Let's see:

1) I send a UDP 53 packet to x.y.z.1 asking the address for some browser home
page like www.google.com

2) The x.y.z.1 host no longer functions as a DNS cache-box (or does it?)

3) Since it "does not cache or do recursive work" any more, instead of
dropping the packet, forcing a timeout and getting my host to drop through to
the next-in-line backup nameserver (which was valid in my host's case), does
it become authoritative for everything and redirect you to a nicely spoofed
server that tells you it's time to change your DNS settings?

The friendly DNS server?  Maybe I just have not met that protocol until today?

This is my guess.  Do you have one?

Chuck Young
Security Consulting
Genuity E-Services