From: David Kramer [mailto:david at thekramers.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 15:14 PM
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: ext2 Advice

On Thursday 07 November 2002 02:32 pm, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> And the drive is better isolated from the PC power supply (but not
toally).
> It's not fry proof.
>
> On 7 Nov 2002 at 13:45, Warren E. Agin wrote:
> > I installed an external hard drive - and back up all the photos and
other
> > key data on a regular basis. Why external? So if there is a fire you can
> > grab it going out the door.

I'm currently working on a scheme to use my X10 automation stuff to turn on
an
external drive before a backup, and turn it off afterwards.  That would
provide much greater protection.

The larger problem is that the USB port is USB 1.1, so it is incredibly
slow.
Firewire would be best.  External SCSI wouldn't be bad, but there's less
isolation there than with a serial protocol.  Might be worth it anyway for
the extra speed.

AFAIK, USB 2.0 is still quite primitive.  I think USB hard drives are
supported though.  480MB/s is nice!
--
DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD