I thought my job was safe here in academia...

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 02:09 pm, Seth Gordon wrote:
> ...but no such luck.  The Genome Center, trying to become leaner,
> meaner, and more attractive for next year's grant cycle, has laid off
> about 20% of its staff, including me.

This saddens me because (1) you are a good guy, and (2) I've been trying to
get in there myself for months.

http://www.flipdog.com/js/jobdetails.html?ID=12288743&linkBack=index.html
http://www.flipdog.com/js/jobdetails.html?ID=12261258&linkBack=index.html
http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=15023603

> (b) brief seminars in the next couple of months that are related to
> programming or databases, appropriate for someone with my skill level,
> and more useful than just reading a book and polishing my skills on my
> own laptop.

On what subjects?

> My resume is at "http://ropine.com/sethg/cv.html"; and my personal email
> address is "sethg at ropine.com".

The Career Place has a program that provides funds and counceling for
ex-employees of some companies, including Lucent.  You can call them at
781-932-5500.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "Love is like pi
DK KD  -- natural, irrational, and very important."
DDDD                                                  -Lisa Hoffman