CUPS

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 09:12 pm,  David Kramer wrote:
> Nope.
> Confusing Undocumented Printout Shredder.

I guess you haven't bought the book "CUPS: Common Unix Printing System" by
Michael Sweet, on Sams Publishing.

I love CUPS.  It's one of the best things that's happened to the Linux
desktop.

Printing is actually hard.  In the old days, I'd have to buy the reference
manual for the printer, write a filter, and pray that lpd used the printcap
entry.  CUPS has always worked for me, the first time, without hassle.  The
package put together for Mandrake even included a driver for my old Lexmark
1100.

At the office, it's been a snap.  CUPS finds network printers automagically -
I didn't even need to do the configuration except on the system that had the
printer.

It also had a neat facility to read the ppd file that came with our Lexmark
Optra E12.

I haven't seen any competitors that come close.