To swap or not to swap that is the question

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:15:25AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Someone sent me email regarding swap space. He mentioned that on memory
> larger than 512M, one does not need swap. I disagree, but I would like to
> get some educated opinion on this.

Well, I don't know about educated, but I'm always ready to give an
opinion...

One thing I'd mention is that you may like to expand your use of the VM
via the VM filesystem, otherwise known as tmpfs.  Daniel Robbins
(Mr. Gentoo) wrote a good overview about a year ago (also talks about
bind mounts):

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-fs3.html

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)