Italy: Former president reaches out to Bill Gates re Windows XP

This is a rather old news however I found it quite interesting. We all hate Windows XP, specially the part that you have to reformat your hard drive because the new upgrade messed up some important 'national-safety' importance. I would definetly want a follow up on this case:
Italy: Former president reaches out to Bill Gates re Windows XP

Bill Gates provides near-personal service, reports PCWorld

When Windows crashes your computer, wouldn't it be nice to have direct access to Bill Gates, who would then make sure your problem is solved quickly? This fantasy can be a reality--if you happen to be a former president of Italy--and, indeed, it recently was.

Francesco Cossiga, who has also served as Italy's minister of defence and interior, installed the new Windows XP Home software on his PC, which "went into tilt after two days", as he put it in an e-mail that he fired off to Mr Gates. Mr Cossiga complained that "neither my friends nor the Italian subsidiary of Microsoft can solve the problem, with the risk that the computer's hard disk will have to be reformatted with the loss of all the data it contained". And he pointedly chided the mega-billionaire: "Perhaps, my dear, young Mr Gates, before putting your new products on the market with so much publicity, you should have them tested for longer and with greater care."

The former president subsequently told an Italian newspaper that he would sue Microsoft if he were to lose all the data from his hard drive.

But all's well that ends well. Mr Gates responded with a soothing e-mail and after-sales support to correct what appears to have been an installation error. By the end of the episode a few days later, Mr Cossiga was praising Microsoft for taking care of the problem. Would that it were all so easy and cordial for the rest of us.