How to best do zillions of little files?

I once worked for a company where the files were stored hierarchially by
date. A database was used to maintain an index to the files. Most of the
files were simply archival. In the event that the database needed to be
rebuilt, a simple Unix find could rebuild the database. Very simple, very
reliable. Most of the files were stored on removable optical disks, and the
more recent files were online on magnetic media. In this particular case,
Solaris was used because Linux did not have the drivers available for the
optical jukebox. The actual file name was the customer number, and there
could be multiple files, but not at the same date/time directory. The
database was only concerned with the most recent online record. The files
themselves were compressed files containing both graphical and text
information.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director