ATT Broadband internet info wanted

Hi Jeff,

I have AT&T Broadband cable internet here in Beverly, and it works great.
I am using a rented cable modem, RCA brand. I have it hooked up to an SMC
Barricade 8-port router. I've had the service here for two or three weeks
and haven't had problems.

Previously I lived in Woburn and had AT&T Broadband there for about a
year, no problems their either. In Woburn I was using a purchased Motorola
brand cable modem and a Linksys 4-port router.

I'd personally recommend an SMC router if you are looking at a prepackaged
home networking solution. You get lots more for your money with the SMC
than with other home networking brands. For $99, you get the same basic
functionality as a Linksys 4-port router, but with such additional
features as a rack-mounting kit, built-in LPR/LPD print server, 8-port
10/100 switch, solid metal industrial design, automatic failover to an
optional attached external modem, and a regular AC power cable (no big
brick for this product).

As for a cable modem, I haven't seen an appreciable difference between my
rented RCA modem and my purchased Motorola modem.

Peter
--
Peter R. Wood - lists at prwdot.org - http://prwdot.org/