Mandrake vs. Red Hat

Why not ask, which is better: vi or emacs? Linux or FreeBSD? Atari ST or Amiga? Heh.

I've used an older Mandrake, and the latest RedHats. My answer would be that Mandrake "tries hader" to be a more friendly desktop, while Redhat "stays focused" on being a server system.

Of course, that oversimplification is almost misleading so I won't stand behind those generalizations. Either system can fit in the other's role.

IF you are looking for a desktop system, you might expand your question to incluse Xandros and Lycoris. Try them all (VMware helps).

I can say that the Red Hat "null beta" for 8.0, has a much more user-friendly feel to it thanks to desktop cleanup, and a GNOME2 base.

But you didn't say what you wanted the box for. I'd reccomend a distribution I myself don't use, depending on what it's being used for. Each distro has a certain specialization (sort of).