Odd hardware problem

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Jimenez, Todd wrote:

> Dead monitor? <grin>

He said that it doesn't POST, which I take to mean that there were no
beeps.  If the monitor were dead, he would at least hear one beep, and
hear the hard drives crunch away loading the OS.

When I have seen this the two most likely causes were the memory and the
power supply.  I would try reseating the RAM, and if that doesn't work,
reordering them.  Then I would try a different power supply, or at least
measure the output of the power supply.  All motherboard have at least a
minimal check for power supply cleanness, but some are downright picky,
especially with the faster newer processors.

If you need to borrow a multimeter I can lend you one for tonight's
meeting.  I have a spare AT (not ATX) power supply I can lend you too.

--
DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD