Using Samba with WinXP

I finally decided to set up WinXP at home but am having a devil of a time
with Samba.  None of the Google searches seems to get me what I want.

Guest shares can be mounted just fine.  Those which require user authentication
(on my Samba server from a WinXP client) yield the following in log.smbd:

  [2002/08/29 10:27:52, 2] smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(575)
    pass_check_smb failed - invalid password for user [richb]
  [2002/08/29 10:27:52, 3] smbd/error.c:error_packet(110)
    error packet at smbd/reply.c(167) cmd=117 (SMBtconX) NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Below are sections of the smb.conf file.  Any ideas?  Some of the searching
I've done leads me to believe there is either (1) a "clear text authentication"
patch I can make to the WinXP registry, or (2) I will need to overhaul the
config and turn the Samba server into a domain controller instead of using
a simple local smbpasswd file (security=user).

Win98 and/or Linux smbclient can authenticate just fine.

-rich

[global]
        workgroup = xxx
        netbios name = yyy