how to prompt for password

I created a perl script /etc/auto.smb which is script that creates
automount maps for smb shares.  Works great.

The problem is that smbmount requires authentication credentials -
i.e. username and password.  Since I'm creating the map
programmatically, if there were a good way to prompt for this
information, that's what I would prefer to do.  Otherwise the best I can
do is point to file, say ~/.smbcred that contains this information which
is readable only by that user.

The problem is, (or at least one of the problems), is that there's no
way of knowing how the mount point will be accessed.  You might browse
there from a shell.  You might click on an icon (to say an symlink to
the automount point) in KDE or Gnome.

Is there any such thing as a generic form utility that would work in
these circumstances?

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\