Tulip network card not connecting in 7.3?

Brian Medley wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, David Kramer wrote:
>
>> The kicker is this- I noticed that the light for that channel on my hub
>> is not on under Linux, but it is on under Windows.  Note that the light
>> on the back of the card is on under either OS!!
>>
>> dmesg says (again, from scribbles, not cut/paste):
>>
>> So my primary suspition is that the problem is the media type, but
>> there's only one connector.  I assume the second one is full duplex, but
>> that won't work since I'm going into a hub which goes to the intranet
>> card on my firewall box.  The firewall box is a Red Hat 7.0 box that I am
>> building this box to replace.  This box will be my new firewall when it's
>> working (I'll re-tweak the network settings).
>>
>> Any thoughts?  Anything I can try?
>
>I had to set my network card as half-duplex so that it would function
>correctly with our current switch.  Mine would also "just work" under
>windows.  I use mii-diag from 'http://www.scyld.com/diag/'...

I had a similar problem when I upgraded from RH 7.0 to 7.1 on my home
machine a while back.  I found that using the alternative driver for
that chipset (de4x5 driver) solved my problem and let me run 100/full.
I'm guessing that whatever changes were made to the tulip driver going
from RH 7.0 -> 7.1 are still in there and still causing problems.

			      Good Luck,
			      Bill Bogstad