Wireless Internet options

I also live in the NE, and had a similar problem. The building next to ours
had been wired with a T-1 (they had a dot-com as a tenant at one point and
its staff had done the work), so we brought a line into our basement and
wired our building too. A basic hub and lots of Cat 5 cable were all the
equipment required. Cost: about $250 each apartment to wire the building,
$250 per apartment as a buy-in to the other building (to reimburse them for
their initial equipment investment) and, with about 24 units using the
service, $40 a month. For this, I get access to an underutilized T-1, a
stable connection, and static IP.

Initially, we thought there would be some problem selling the concept to the
rest of the people in the building - but in the end it was an easy sell. The
condo trustee's decided just to pay the money for the install and set up
everyone with access to the service, whether they want it or not.

The key is having enough units to make the cost reasonable. Also, you need
someone technically adept enough to manage the process and educate everyone.
That's you. Keep in mind that it is a process. We had to deal with a few
luddites and I had to prepare instruction sheets on how to configure a PC to
use the connection. Even so, I had to configure three or four personal
computers myself.

Regards,

-Warren Agin

______________________________________
Warren E. Agin, Esq.
Swiggart & Agin, LLC
Two Center Plaza, Boston, MA 02018
617-742-0110 x233
fax: 617-723-2830
wea at swiggartagin.com
http://www.swiggartagin.com

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact Swiggart & Agin, LLC
immediately -- by replying to this e-mail or by sending an e-mail to
info at swiggartagin.com -- and destroy all copies of this e-mail and any
attachments. Thank you.