fault detection

It won't help diagnose this crash, but if it's
feasible, I would setup your box with serial console
support, and a second machine with a serial connection
to your crashed server to capture console output.
Depending on the budget, this can be a low-end intel,
or one of the commercial remote console solutions.  In
any case, there's a better-than-average chance that
any messages associated with a crash appear on the
console and would be captured in a log file on the 2nd
box.

Just 2 cents
Gordon Keegan