Wireless Internet options

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 01:29:03PM -0400, Drew Taylor wrote:
> I just moved into the North End of Boston and unfortunately neither
> DSL (digital cards in the CO) or cable modem (not upgraded yet) are
> available to me. So I'm looking at wireless options. [...]  The
> building where I live has 4 other apartments that I suspect might be
> interested in sharing a connection. Any ideas are more than welcome.

Most any wireless choice is going to like a choice of antenna
locations, so having 5 of you interested suggests you can maybe get to
the roof, or at least a choice of windows.

I know RCN and Winstar offer commercial wireless products, and the 5
of you might be able to pool nicely on something like that.  But RCN
is slimy and Winstar isn't exactly stellar.

So I would consider running your own wireless.  802.11b wireless can
be run through a highly directional external antenna.  Aim it at a
similar antenna that is looking back and you can do a fast link over
quite a distance (as in miles); quite a distance line of sight.  What
can you see from your apartments?  Who lives or works at that place
you can see?  You want to find someone satisfying these two
requirements:

 - Person/company can get fast DSL service.

 - Person/company is willing to help you out, maybe in exchange for
   free internet access, money, or thanks.

Who do you (or your neighbors) know in your view?

Once you find that person/location, install DSL there, hook that up to
a router and 802.11b card with an antenna pointing at you.  Tap off
the router for use at the DSL site (a contribution to your remote
partner).  If you want to get secure, send everything over that link
through an encrypted tunnel.  (802.11b builtin security is worthless.)

-kb