FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows 2000 comparison

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> SuSe defaults to Reiserfs.
> On 16 Aug 2002 at 16:48, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
>
>>One of the downticks that Linux receives are because of its default use
>>of a non-journalled write-behind file system.

I was talking about the fact that the default on all Linux distributions
at the time he wrote his article was ext2.

I didn't know SuSE was installing reiserfs by default now; I haven't
done a new install for a while, and upgrades don't change your file
systems. But I did know that they make it painless to install it. I did
a new Red Hat 7.3 install a few days ago, and that installed ext3 by
default.

Mostly I run SuSE. But I was taking a summer class on GUI programming on
Linux, using KDE and Qt... I had built my previous projects on SuSE, but
the instructors had trouble building my next-to-last one (gcc couldn't
find minmax.h!), so I set up a Red Hat system so I could test my final
project on the environment they would be using. I was pleasantly
surprised; the Red Hat install process has improved a lot since the last
time I used it regularly. On the other hand, I couldn't get Red Hat's
online update stuff to work at all (couldn't get through to the
servers), though I suppose that buying a subscription to RHN might fix that.

Anyhow, the class went well. I wrote a couple of things that I will
release to the real world eventually, after they get a bit more polishing.