Being Newer Than Red Hat

I have always been a proponent of packages. For the most part, it makes
software relatively straightforward to install. We had a package manager at
DEC long before Linus went to college.With a package manager you can
resolve issue such as:
Base OS ships with library X v 4.0.
Some compiler package ships with  library X v 4.4.
OS upgrade ships with library X v 4.2.
A good package manager will prevent the OS upgrade from overwriting the
newer library.

What a package manager cannot do is to resolve problems like
incompatiobilities between libraries.

Once you go beyong the package manager and build from source, you are on
your own.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director