Being Newer Than Red Hat

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 03:33:52PM -0400, Chris Tresco wrote:
> I've never thought of package management as a bottleneck.  Quite the
> contrary.  Imagine you have to install 5 identical servers...  Would you
> want to compile those packages 5 times?  I think not.  Plus it is good
> to have something checking your dependancies...leads to less headaches
> in the long run.  I think that one of the WORST things you can do is to
> mix package-based installs with make install installs.  If you
> absolutely have to do it, at least keep /usr/local clean except for
> things you compile yourself.

I think we are agreeing here.

A bottleneck is not necessarily a bad thing!  In the case of rpm
installs, rpm becomes a "bottleneck" that imposes some good discipline
by not letting any old "make install" do what it will as root with no
one keeping track of what is going on.  And how one might maintain a
collection of closely related machines is something I am interested
in.

Sounds like time to learn more about rpm.

Thanks,

-kb