Dell dumps linux

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Kent Borg wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 02:00:36PM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > It's interesting that Dell did not push back. It might be a
> > marketing opportunity for HP/Compaq and IBM. Because both of these
> > companies produce a large number of Unix and Linux servers, I'm not
> > sure if Microsoft can enforce this.
>
> In the thing I read Dell claims this will apply to competitors too.  I
> wonder how that works.

Well, Dell's contract won't apply to other Vedors, but MSFT pricewars
will. MSFT will charge $BIGNUM if they sell non-MSFT OS's, and <$BIGNUM.
Any business person worth their salt will drop Linux, etc. if their
current sales of that product are worth less then $BIGNUM[0]-$BIGNUM[1].

						~Ben

--
/"\	Ben Jackson
\ /     bejackso at lynx.dac.neu.edu - http://www.innismir.net/~bbj