Journaling file systems revisited

Not to reiterate much on what Mark mentioned, I've never had an ext2 file
system that could not be repaired. If it is the root file system, simply
mount it readonly in single user mode. I'm wondering if you have some
underlying disk problems.
Depending on the kernel you can enable ext3 on the fly. We just did that
with blu.org.
The Windows guy who shares our rack knocked out the power cord, and the
system booted up in single user mode that required a manual fsck. So, John
simply added ext3 journalling capability.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group