Journaling file systems revisited

Glenn Burkhardt wrote:

> P.S.  Some of our older systems have only ext2, and have gotten into a funky
> state that fsck doesn't fix.  No files can be created (file system full), but
> existing files can be read.  'df' reports plenty of free space, and I can't
> find unusually large files in /tmp, /var/tmp, or /var/spool.  I've tried to
> force an 'fsck' with an abrupt powerdown, and the user reports the file
> system being checked (I can't look myself, the system is in Italy).  So no
> temporary files can be created, and some things don't work.  What can I do,
> short of sending a new hard drive, or re-building the file system
> (re-installing Linux)?

One thing to try:

Boot the system from a rescue disk. (If the computers are new enough to
be able to boot from CD-ROM, you can use the installation CD from most
Linux distributions for this purpose. For older systems, you'll have to
make floppies.) Then, without mounting the damaged file system, run
fsck. The "standalone" version that you run from the command line is
more thorough than the version that is run at boot time on most Linux
systems, it might fix problems that the other one missed.

Of course, this may be difficult to arrange, since the systems are
remote. You might be able to get the same effect, however, by dropping
the system down to the single-user run level, mounting the damaged file
system read-only, and running fsck from there. Alas, that may be
difficult, too, since going to single user mode disables the network
support on most Linux distributions.

It looks as though, whatever you do, you'll be partly at the mercy of
getting the user at the other end to do stuff for you. Good luck...