ATTBI Registration Resolved

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 02:13:15PM -0400, Nathan Meyers wrote:

> ... It's not worth AT&T's time and trouble to care about what's going
> on in your home network. It is worth their trouble to care about people
> who blow their average bandwidth assumptions out of the water because
> they're sharing that bandwidth with a hundred or so of their closest
> friends. Having a policy gives them something to enforce (or ignore)
> - it doesn't mean they're going to harrass reasonable users.

The concerns you mention could be addressed technologically, rather than
contractually.  I think a more probable explanation is that attbi would
prefer you pay them to provision these services.  They would certainly
prefer to do as little to support them (I'm picturing my Mom asking
Level 1 support for help configuring Apache).

The Internet was explicitly architected to support end-to-end services.
This construction works against certain party's business interests.  The
long term consequences of greater centralized control are subject to
debate.  Other people articulate the point better than I.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/works/lessig/MB.html

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\