ATTBI Registration Resolved

> I agree.  One of the reasons that I chose Attbi (in addition to $41 a
> month for 1.5/384 connection) was that they explicitly allowed both any
> *NIX OS and NAT.  From their Security FAQ:

Although this has changed recently.  For some enthralling reading, check out
their new AUP:

http://help.broadband.att.com/faq.jsp?content_id=1107&category_id=34

Revised on July 25. It contains language that restricts the use of wireless
networks and connection sharing via firewall:

(from the prohibited uses section)

"(ix) resell the Service or otherwise make available to anyone outside the
Premises the ability to use the Service (i.e. Wi-Fi, or other methods of
networking). The Service is for recreational, residential, personal use only
and Customer agrees not to use the Service for operation as an Internet
Service Provider or for any other business purpose"

"(x) provide the ability to connect multiple computers behind the cable
modem to set up a LAN (Local Area Network) unless it is done with AT&T
Broadband approved equipment. For additional information on supported
equipment refer to:
http://help.broadband.att.com/faq.jsp?content_id=1748&category_id=50.";

"(xiv) run programs, equipment or servers from the Premises which provide
network content or any other services to anyone outside of the your home LAN
(Local Area Network). Examples of prohibited programs and equipment include,
but are not limited to, mail, ftp, http, file sharing, game, newsgroup,
proxy, IRC servers, multi-user interactive forums and Wi-Fi devices;"

Similar language has been in place for a while, but it's become more
explicit of late.  Generally, ATT has not strictly enforced this policy, but
rather has left it in place in case a serious abuse did arise and a rule
needed to be called upon.  I've been using a NAT firewall and a WiFi device
on my ATTBB connection for a year now, and have been given no trouble by
ATTBB.  But still, the language is there in the AUP...

Peter