Single Sync Woes

130Hz seems very high to me....

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-admin at blu.org [mailto:discuss-admin at blu.org] On Behalf Of
Ryan L. Kitchen
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 7:21 AM
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Single Sync Woes

I recently acquired a very interesting piece of equipment: A very large
single sync monitor with 3 (RGB) bnc connections on the back. It is
marked
as a Digital brand model VRT19-HA, but it is also marked as a GDM-1961
which I am told indicates the touch of sony? not that it matters....
At any rate, I have a five connector bnc to 15 pin vga cable and i'm
ready
to roll... or am I. It is not a multi sync monitor, it is very picky
about
the vertical and horizontal refresh rates. In good ol' Solaris and linux
et
al you can manually choose these things. I'm sure it would work fine on
my
sparc with my handy dandy 13w3 adapter...but i want to use this thing on
pc. I have a geforce 2 256. I also have a GeForce 4 Ti4200 that is
waiting
for a power supply and case to power the M.B. that will hold it. I have
heard this monitor requires a video card that can support a refresh rate
of
130 cycles ... I know the Geforce 2 goes at least to 120... I'm not sure

about the GF4.
Basically, I am hardware oriented, but I've never really taken a monitor

apart or done any significant modifications. I also understand how a
capacitor works and how large the ones are in CRT based devices (such as

monitors and tv's). I would prefer to be alive. With all this in mind,
can
anyone enlighten me? I don't really want to buy any other video cards,
as I
have 2 very nice ones already... but is there a home made solution to
get
this thing running? I just don't seem to have very many resources. yes I

have soldering iron and the necessary know how...

Many thanks,
Ryan K.