X(Free86) and panning

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 05:09:09PM -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> > You should see an entry for "Virtual" - the virtual screen resolution -
> > in your /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (depending on your
> > version of X) file. Nuke it.
>
> Nathan,
>
> Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, there is no 'virtual' directive
> in the configuration file.  I've included the configuration file with
> this message; this is for XF86 3.x.x.

Hmmm. I don't usually use more than one screen resolution, but this
sentence from the XF86Config man page might be relevant:

     If [the Virtual] entry is not present, the virtual screen resolution
     will be set  to accommodate all the valid video modes given in
     the Modes entry.

In other words, there's apparently an implied Virtual value equal to
the largest resolution on the Modes line for whatever depth you're
running. If you're using an actual resolution other than that, you'll
get this annoying mode. I don't remember all your details (sorry, didn't
keep the original note) - does that possibly describe your situation?

Nathan