OT question on laptop hardware

Jerry,

My experience is there is a way to remove a "cradled HDD assy", either with screws (like a T-6) or by removing the battery and
pressing an "ejector" button or somesuch bizarre maneuver.  If these fail, rtfm.

Once the assy is out, you'll need to unscrew the drive from the cradle and then you will likely encounter a printed circuit board
made form copper and flexible plastic which interfaces from a standard notebook IDE drive (44 pins?) to a proprietary compaq
physical connector, which adheres to the drive body with an adhesive "duct tape" type of glue.

With a blow dryer, heat the adhesive until it becomes workable and carefully peel it off the HDD.  Pop it on the new one and reverse
the disassembly process to reinstall.  You may need to upgrade BIOS to see the new drive.

HTH,

Chuck Young
Security Consulting
Genuity E-Services