RTFM VMWare question

Thanks Nathan.
I'm actually no stranger to VMs having used VM370 back in the '70s, and I
am a believer of VM technology. Back then we moved from Burroughs MCP to
IBM's OS/VS1. I was able to benchmark our payoll system under VM370 in less
time than native VS1 (and all that with some online users). But, the real
saving grace was with some of our older Burroughts systems. On MCP, when a
hardware resource, like a tape drive, is requested, MSP allocates and
deallocates it to the task dynamically. On IBM, this is normally done at
the JCL level before starting the task (or job step). We had one app that
used 5 or 6 tapes during its run, but never more than 3 at the same time.
On OS/VS1 were could not run this app native because we did not have enough
tape drives. Our solution was to use VM/370, and tell VS1 it had more tape
drives than the number of physical drives. Then, when the additional drives
were requested, we could then assign the virtual drives to a physical
drive.
In any case, with a VM, the physical reality and the virtual reality may be
quite different.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director