H1Bs (was Re: Overqualified?!?!)

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Seth Gordon wrote:

> Regarding H1B workers, johnmalloy at attbi.com wrote:
> > 1.) They got their college education for free from their
> > Government.

So what?  I go to free public libraries on occasion.  Most
of us spent 12 years in a free educational system.  I've
even given things away for free.  Dare I admit to using
free software.

TANSTAAFL.

> > 2.) Our Gov't has consistently been cutting back on
> > education, which a very bad trend.

This is a bad trend.  I don't object too much because it
reminds me of taking my chrysler to have brakes fixed.
After a few failures I found myself less eager to give
more money to the people who did not fix my car.

> > 3.)  Perhaps you should get replaced by a few of "your
> > guys" (after you have trained them) and be out of work
> > for over  a year and lose all your benefits nad
> > insurance?

Ouch.  If "your guys" were not visa holders you would be so much
happier, right?

> H1B computer programmers may be paid less than their citizen
> counterparts, but surely they earn enough to be liable for income taxes.
>     And *everyone* earning a salary legally in this country contributes
> to Social Security; as the proportion of citizens in retirement goes up,
> foreign workers' contribution to Social Security will look more and more
> desirable.  And if their employers can make more profit from the H1Bs
> than from citizens, that extra profit can translate into extra tax
> revenues.  And if they buy consumer goods in a US state that has a sales
> tax ... you get the idea.

There is some sense to your thought only if you presume that your
obligation to the visa holder is equivalent, or near equilavent,
to your obligation to your fellow citizen.

> IMHO, the solution is simple: invite as many H1B workers (in computer
> programming and other fields) as the market will bear, and use the extra
> tax revenue for government programs that benefit citizens.

Solution?!  You haven't stated a problem.

> And don't get me started on farm subsidies and textile protectionism....

Please do tell us what we need do to keep you from getting started.

> --sethg the flaming liberal

Don't worry this is mostly a Massachusetts list, you'll fit in.

rob                     Live the dream.