Market Manipulation, The Economy, and Unionization (was Re: Overqualified)

There is a DC-based union for software engineers.  It's web site is
http://www.washtech.org.  A union is needed if only for lobbying
congress.  I do urge you all to write your local congressman and express
your feelings about the H1B visa issue.  I think there is a time when
H1B visas are necessary but now is certainly not one of them.  I saw
this coming a few years back when congress was looking to increase the
number of visas.  At that time, it was clear they were looking for
"cheap" labor and not because of supply as they stated.  We had tons of
consulting companies crop up reselling cheap foreign labor at our
expense.  We are feeling the effects of this political decision now.
 Once again, you need to make your voice heard by contacting your local
representative <http://clerk.house.gov/members/index.php>and senator.
<http://www.senate.gov/senators/senator_by_state.cfm>  I am all for a
limited number of visas during normal economic times if the person
intends on immigrating here.  But US citizens and permanent residents
need to have priority for jobs.  PERIOD.  This benefits everyone because
if a visa holder eventually becomes a citizen and buys a house here,
they will need employment like the rest of us.  Some foreign workers
have reasoned that everyone should be hired based on merit alone.  Merit
is top criteria but not the only criteria since people just can't pack
up their house, belongings, mortgage, family, friends, and schools to go
to another job somewhere else in the world.  Work has to be available
for people who live here wherever "here" is.  ie.  This should be every
country's policy.  I also think we have another problem in our industry
which as Linux users, you certainly understand.  We have a monopoly that
has deprived other entrepreneurs and companies of prosperity due to it's
anti-competitive tactics.  If you were to carve up $50 billion of the
$60+ that Bill Gates has, you would have a lot of innovation and jobs.
 Say $50 billion was divided amongst 50 states.  Each and every state
could have several hundred entrepreneural millionaires all employing
people and creating great products and services.  I think the problem in
our society is that we're out of balance.  The system is great if noone
is manipulating the markets.  But just look around and you see
accounting firms, energy companies, brokerage firms, software behomoths,
etc... all illegally manipulating the market in big ways.  This isn't
what we're all about.  We've already sent a great deal of our blue
collar jobs to foreign countries but what will we all do when our white
collar jobs go too?  We should send our politicians to foreign countries
since that's who they currently represent.

Because I think this is such an important issue, if you are interested
in a Boston based software association (lobbying and perhaps even a real
union), drop me an e-mail and I'll collect the responses and we'll see
if we can't take some action.

BTW - I am not at all against foreigners.  My father immigrated here
from Italy and I am married to a wonderful Japanese woman.  I just think
we have a political issue here regarding how America conducts it's
business.  It's correctable but we need to work together to fix it.