sendmail help

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 21:22, Chris Tresco wrote:
> scrap sendmail and rh and go with debian and exim :)
>
> that is my best advice since ive never tinkered w/ the likes of sendmail.
  Wanna fight?  ;-)

  I'd recommend scrapping Red Hat 6.2 and going with Red Hat 7.3.  I'd
also wonder why you are going with the old, 8.9.3 version of sendmail,
especially when there is an official Red Hat 6.2 updated for sendmail
bringing it to 8.11.6.
  And if you don't compile it yourself, things work pretty well.
Sendmail development has been moving all of its configuration files to
/etc/mail for quite a while, (or at least, Red Hat has).  It's more in
line with the LSB, IIRC.
  To sum up, I would recommend:

1) Go with Red Hat 7.3 (plus all official updates, of course)\
2) Use the included rpm of sendmail 8.11.6
3) Check the /usr/share/sendmail-cf/README file (part of the sendmail-cf
package) for any changes in usage of the macros you were using.
4) Modify the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file and run:

# cd /etc/mail
# m4 sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
# service sendmail restart

Remember to read the comment at the end of sendmail.mc about the
DAEMON_OPTIONS macro and what to do to get sendmail to listen to
interfaces other than loopback.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator