Linux standards

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:54:40AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> 1. ./configure [ configure arguments ]
> 2. make
> 3. become root.
> 4. make install
> 5. become non-root.

I'm not going to pretend I'm always so good about doing this, but I
think it's wise to use chroot jails.  I'll often also do a 'make -n ...'
to find out what's going to happen before I make a big mess.

I just found out about checkinstall, which I think I'll be trying real
soon now.

> This could be easily done by a package manager. While binary installs are
> good for many users, source installs can be more customized to your
> environment.

I haven't taken the time to try Gentoo, but their portage system sounds
very interesting.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\