Linux standards

I think this could be dealt with in a number of ways:
1. a standards compliant distro installs things in specific places.
	This appraoch is limited, because it's lack of flexibilty,. What goes into
/use/local vs. /opt vs. /usr/bin.
2. The distro provides a mapping file. The package manager would consult
the mapping file, which could be an installation override of the above
scheme.
Other schemes could be used.
The package manager would also need (as most do today) check dependencies
and also previously installed components. This is where standard naming
conventions come into play. You also have issues such as when installing a
new version, what to do with the old version. Historically, SuSE by default
backs up the old one.

But, the most serious issue is not in the implementation, but the politics.
The Debian people, for instance have been very adamant to accept RPM in
place of DEB. Deccies like setld, HP people like swinstall. Lots of very
sticky issues.

Then you have companies like Installshield that have their own procedures.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director