Mandrake on Walmart PCs

You can easily get around that problem in a Unix system. Set up the boot
loader (eg. LILO or GRUB) to set up a standard menu, something like:
1. Normal boot.
2. Command line normal boot.
3. Maintenance mode (eg. for us Unix people single user mode).
and a few more.
4. Command line maintenance boot.
This would look similar to the Windows boot menu.

The Maintenance mode menu might have:
1. Set administrator password
2. Change password for a user.
3. Add new user.
4. Delete a user.
5. Scan disk for errors.
And maybe a few more things.

For novice users, this would suffice. You could also add a settings menu
that looks very much like the Windows settings. Those settings that require
superuser priviledge would prompt. On SuSE, you have similar menus. When
you run YaST2 as a regular user from KDE, it prompts for the password.
It is very simple. Since this is a preinstall, the user does not need to
know the underlying fole structures, etc. On first boot, the system comes
up

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director