Best Unix?

Re: Best Unix?

Anthony J. Gabrielson wrote: agabriel at home.tzo.org>
>  Don't forget about IRIX.  I kind of like IRIX.

I am wondering what features you like. Jerry said Solaris is not
the best UNIX out there. What makes your favorite better? I would
like to hear from Linux and BSD proponents too.

I did a Google search to find out what IRIX is. IRIX runs on SGI
workstations and servers. SGI is known for high performance
advanced graphics. Clustering and High-Availability options are
available, as are a number of graphics packages including Photoshop
and industrial design packages. The Interactive Desktop environment
is supposed to make setting up and using your SGI easier. Xinet
Macintosh connectivity products provide File and printer sharing
between SGI and Macintosh.

I also looked up Jerry's favorite, Tru64. They claim Tru64 is the
fastest thing on Alpha, has "the best clustering technology in the
industry", is the "most scalable, powerful and available operating
system on the market", is easy to manage and has the best compatability with Windows and Linux workstations.

Other people have said Mac OS X is the best Unix for the workstation. It is built on BSD. Does anyone know if Apple is
giving back to the free software community. Also, as commercial
applications become available for native OS X what are the chances
that we will see those same applications available on x86 based BSD
or Linux?

Jim Long
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8