Best Unix?

The Alpha is, unfortunately, a niche product. It has become the workhorse
for some major ISPs, and also in high performance technical computing.
Tru64 also scales well up to many CPUs. Clustering comes from the VMS
heritage, and there is no other high end competitor. Unfortunately, Compaq
lost some of its best clustering engineers to Mission Critical Linux.

On the other hand, the HP systems were successfully installed in major
mainstream IT datacenters. With HP having some good high end boxes, like
the Superdome, the only way Compaq could continue to compete was to pour
money into the Alpha chip. It just became (enter the bean counters) too
expensive. Compag (and Digital before that) had been working with Intel on
porting Tru64 to what is now the Itanium. Last summer, before the HP deal,
they made a deal with Intel, that effectively transferred the next
generation Alpha chip people to Intel. If the merger did not go through,
then there might have been Tru64 on Itanium with the current HPTC teams
providing the box technologies. With the HP deal, Tru64 becomes a casualty,
but HP-UX (should) become much better.

The downside is that now that HP is effectively the number 2 computer maker
behind IBM, they are IBMs primary target. In the past, the number 2 guy has
gotten squashed. There is a long list. Honeywell (now Bull), Burroughs (now
Unisys), RCA(I think now part of Unisys), GE (became part of Honeywell).