discussing flavors of POSIX [was M$ && Sending files back?]

Bill,
Neither does BSD. BSD does not contain any code from the AT&T kernel.
Additionally, there are many Unix systems (based on OSF1 for instance) that
also do not contain AT&T code, but they are branded Unix.
Certainly, System V was pure Unix, and the Berkeley Unix releases were
originally based on Unix version 6 (which predated System V).
I don't have the time to go into the dates, but back in the early 90s, when
AT&T sued BSDI, all AT&T code was removed from the BSD kernels. Both Clem
Cole, in his talk last year presented a roadmap outlining it.

While Linux was created from scratch, I personally include it when I talk
about Unix, and it does comply with some POSIX standards, and interops with
most Unixes. There was a time when FreeBSD was clearly a better OS that
Linux. Whether that is true or not today, I don't know. Linux has come a
long way, and in some vendors, it is beginning to replace their commercial
versions of Unix. I suspect that if a vendor wanted to spend enough money,
they could get away with branding Linux and Unix. (Note the The Open Group
owns the Unix brand, and their standards determine whether or not a vendor
can use the Unix brand, but Finnbarr is the expert on this, not me).

I know that even some proprietary systems that were never ever thought of
as Unix are now being made compliant with POSIX and even Unix 98.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director