strange gethostsbyname error...

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Frank Ramsay wrote:

> I'm down at a client site doing some troubleshooting and I've come across a
> very strange gethostbyname error.  It's returning NULL on a hostname in the
> /etc/hosts file.  What happens is when the remote server goes down the
> client program tries to re-connect every few hundred times though it's main
> loop.  The idea being it will re-connect when server comes back up.  When it
> first comes up it works, but after an hour or two gethostbyname starts to
> fail.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?
> redhat 7.2
> glibc-2.2.4-19

Make sure you're looking at hosts before anything else in
/etc/nsswitch.conf.

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol.
DKK D  It says that the best drink in existance is the Pan Galactic
DK KD  Gargle Blaster."
DDDD             Douglas Adams, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".