C macro question

True that blindly following a standard can lead to trouble.
Without quoting the rest of what you said, the C standard (ISO 89 or ISO
99) is a standard for the C language and has nothing to do with any OS. The
interfaces defined by the standard are OS independent.
POSIX, X/Open (eg xpg3, Unix 95, Unix 98) et. al. are specifications for
the OS. They standardize many interfaces, both on the system call level as
well as the library level.
You mentioned signals. The old signal(2) interface is deprecated in most
Unix systems. Calls such as sigaction(2) are much more reliable. What the C
standard is defining is the minimum subset of signal. Also, Unix signals
are unreliable when compared to ASTs in VMS or other operating systems.
Then, enter threads. There are many standard C functions (ctime(3) for
instance) which is not threadsafe. The old method of declaring errno as a
global variable is also not threadsafe. Most systems now set up errno as a
macro whose value depends on whether the program is threaded or not. But,
because of the C standard, errno must still be defined as a global variable.

The bottom line though, is that the standards provide a guideline to
portable programming. Programmers who follow the standard generally have
more portable code than programmers who do not. All major Unix vendors as
well as GCC comply with ISO 89 and some comply with ISO 99.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group