local linux laptop

You should look around. I just checked the Compaq Factory outlet and they
have 2 Presario laptops available today for under $1k (refurbished). Both
have more RAM, more HD and more processor than your PC For Everyone system.
One needs to be careful of "Refurbished" because it has different meanings
depending where you get it. At Compaq or Dell, it means factory tested, et.
al. complete with a waranty.

http://www.compaqfactoryoutlet.com/ Click on notebooks. The exact URL will
wrap.

Both are 1GHz AMD Duron processors. I have purchased 2 laptops from CFO and
have had no problems that I could attribute to a refurbished unit. (My
laptop has a problem with the "wedge", and that is because of heavy usage).
$899. AMD Duron processor 1.0GHz, 15Gb hard drive, 256Mb RAM, 14" TFT
display, DVD, 10/100 Ethernet, 56K modem, Windows XP - part# B67966-001-
B4H7

$959 AMD Duron processor 1.0GHz, 15Gb hard drive, 256Mb RAM, 14" TFT