Root filesystem 100% full

Actually, there is an lsof utility that you should have installed that will
tell you which files are currently opened. There is no way you can force a
redirect on that file as long as it remains opened. And, if I remember
correctly, you are redirecting stdout.

Many times when I have written a multi-threaded server, I have set it up
such that ever log entry is an open/write/close operation. This is more
expensive, but does allow one to move the log file out from under the
process by simply using symbolic links. (I also used a series of locks to
prevent multiple processes or threads from writing simultaneously).

In any case, if your process does an open/log/close operation, then rename
the log file, create a symlink to the new one on another file system, then
move the old log.

Another way to log is either to log to syslog, or use a similar technique.
You can have a logger process or thread whose job it is to write the logs.
Depending on the desired atomicity, your threads could enqueue the log
messages on a queue (using pthread_cond_wait based queues). Then your
logger thread (or threads) could then perform the slower logging without
affecting the performance portion of the program, but that does not solve
your immediate problem.

--
Jerry Feldman
Enterprise Systems Group