HELP - Redirect output of already running process?

I didn't realize how much discussion my problem would generate.  This
all started when I found a huge memory leak in SecureCRT, a Windows ssh
client.  VanDyke Software is aware of it and is looking into it.  The
leak occured when I was in the middle of running a process that takes
days to complete and generates a lot of informational output.  Today, I
was looking at my terminal session and Windows brought up a warning that
I was low on virtual memory.  Looking at the Task Manager, I saw that
SecureCRT was consuming up over 550 MB!!  I almost fell off my chair.
 VanDyke really makes great software so this was just an oversight but a
big one.  In fact, they responded to my bug report within an hour which
speaks miles of them unlike the idiotic non-support from most vendors.
 So, I could have stopped the process which would have meant having to
run it again for a few days or come up with a temporary solution.  I
chose the latter.  Unfortunately, I lost my output which made it
impossible to know if the process encountered any errors but it worked
and the process actually completed a little while ago.  In the future,
I'm going to just redirect to a file when I start the program, put it in
the background and just "tail -f" the log file.  At the very least, this
discussion has been interesting and has shown that we have a lot of
technical expertise in our group!

Robert