broadband recommendations, Arlington

Drew,

"Bridged" is a misnomer: a hangover from the Ethernet days. Actually the designer/manager of your DSLAM will decide what level of concentration each Private Virtual Circuit will have as it goes into the ATM cloud.

The more concentration, the more contention, so you are "bridged" with the other users in the sense that you all compete for the same bandwidth, which is whatever the transport provider put into the PVC. BTW, even business users will have some level of
concentration, since the limiting factor is the DSL line speed, but it's typically 1/4 to 1/2 that of residential users.

Even with a much lower concentration ratio on a "business" *DSL line, high-end business users will usually spring for a T1 line going straight to their ISP, and make contractual arrangements for every aspect of their connectivity.

You pays your money, you takes your chances: as I said, kudos to Speakeasy for being upfront about it.

Bill