HELP - Redirect output of already running process?

I am aware of what Patrick wrote:
freopen(3) essentially closes the file descriptor associated with the
stream. SO, you can use this to connect stdout to a file. The FILE
structure is simply a C data structure. The underlying file is always
represented by a file descriptor. So, what freopen does is to close(2) the
open file descriptor, open(2) a new one associated with the pathname and
associates that with the existing FILE structure.

The problem is how the user can communicate things to a running program.
Here's a scenario, which I think was presented:
1. start the program, let it run in the background.
2. log out.
3. log back in, and capture the output.
The simple solution without program mods is just to let the program write
to a file and use tail with the -f option to monitor the output. You can
log in and out many times this way.

So, you need to invent a way to tell the running program where to send its
output (you can use one of many methods, such as signals, files, SystemV
message queues, System V shared memory, or even mmap. If you want it to
direct output to the current terminal then  simply give it the name of the
pseudo terminal. Most of this is pretty basic programming techniques.