broadband recommendations, Arlington

Although I'd like to have improved connection speeds and a
fixed IP, the only DSL offering I can get here is SDSL - at
$150/month, which is too rich for my blood.

However, even if I could get the ADSL offering, I'd think
twice: Speakeasy's web page warns that it's a "bridged"
connection (kudos for being honest, BTW),  and provides
a link to their "business" class of services. The price is
"in the ballpark" with a cable modem.

To your points:

A. M1 uptime has (knock on wood) been excellent, with
     only two interruptions in the year I've had it
     (I'm in Sharon).

B. Customer support has been OK once I wade past the first
     level of trainees, but I suspect that any provider will make
     you do that.

C. I've never had a problem running my own server: although
     M1 discontinued their support of "vanity" host names,
     there are plenty of dynamic DNS options to choose from.

     If M1 restricts ports or (shudder) puts us behind a
     NAT, I'd have to adapt:

          1. Find a different place to host my r)B?sum?
          2. Offload the mailing lists to Topica.

     Both of which are a pain, but certainly doable.

D. A "fair" price is hard to measure. Are you determined
     to run your own server? Willing to get the functionality
     somewhere else?  I get what I consider a "fair" price
     from M1, but YMMV.

HTH.

Bill

--