kernel rebuild - problem - RH 7.3

"Anand A Rao" <andy at honnu.com> writes:

> Hi  ,
>   I just rebuilt my kernel  to add  support for  my  optical mouse.  But  on
> trying to  boot into this new kernel the  systems  hangs on  mounting root
> file system and then gives a message :

> can any one suggest  any possible reason for this.

Last time I did a kernel upgrade, I discovered an "rpm" target, and when
I used that, the rebuild and installation went very smoothly. I did this
on a Redhat box, so if you're using something else, your mileage may vary.

As I recall, what I did was as follows:

    % make xconfig

    * select the "Load Config From A File" button

    * navigate to /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs and select the config file
      that most closely matched my system

    * save the config and exit from the xconfig dialog

    % make dep ; make rpm

This built the new kernel and placed the rpm file under
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS.
After that I installed the rpm and updated lilo, and it was all set.

To add mouse support like you wanted, you should be able to make the
necessary changes after loading the current settings and before saving
and exiting; that way the config settings are the same as the
distribution's
defaults, except for the bits you explicitly changed.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9

"The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."