Renumbering UIDs and GIDs?

Because of some earlier stupidities of mine, I currently have some
messed up user and group IDs.  I would like to renumber them.  I could
do some bash-ing to find files with the old numbers and chown them to
the new, but I would probably make some regrettable mistakes in the
process.

This leads me to ask whether anyone knows of an existing script or
utility that will do this, and has already been debugged?  (I am on a
RH 7.2 machine.)

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent is afeared of xargs.